Friday, January 11, 2013

Slowly chuging out progress

I've missed some update days and have quite a few things to go over. Since I'm horrible at writing up an entrance to this I'll just lazily give a list.

Character abilities :  Characters abilities are no longer linked to stance and class. They are now their own drop down menu in the middle of battle that is selected and changes your current action. This took some rewritting of the battle system but it's going to make putting new things in as easy as making the "attack" function and adding it to the proper lists.

Different wands : Wands are now unique. They no longer just a charge number and a name pulled from a weighted list. Each wand can effectively have unlimited effects as long as they all go off on the target. I even for giggles added a "cursed" trait which forces the target to be the person useing it, not sure how long it'll function like that but I like the idea of cursed items in a roguelike as long as they aren't the anoying sticky ton of penalties kind. Been playing Brogue and listing to some talk about it has really given me ideas on what I want to do with curses but I'll can them if I can't keep the concept intersting.

Status Effects: Coming in static and timed flavors these do various things. All of them work on a tag system that's referenced when the event is called for. Wands mostly prompted the status effect development and the abilities have taken to them for effects from abilities such as a boost to the next attack or a risk on powerful strikes.

Monsters per floor : Finaly got this in here which will allow me to build the dungeons to be different. Old system only cared about what level of depth you were on and made monsters based on that. Other fun things with monsters per floor is that this can change over time. Cause the large predators in some eldritch horror underground cave to disappear? Now you have to deal with a lot more of the poisonous not quite veggie eating pray they ate.

Weapon/armor generation : Weapons like wands were just a number and name before, now they are their own full fledged class with fiddly bits and material components. I plan on allowing some upgrade to weapons of building and refining weapons through a game has more appeal to me than weapon tiers. That said I'll probably still fall into the trap of weapon tiers as that's how the game works right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment