Sunday, October 28, 2012

Legend redux

After tinkering and doing a few tests I've come to the conclusion that I have hit the classic blunder.

I have optimized my code before getting it to work.

Trying to add to the system is a struggle that requires far more testing than it should and far more planing. I've learned a lot about trying to get this system to work and got what I thought were nice things to put in but I'm left frustrated trying to add new events and functions without breaking nearly all functions before it. Adding new features often breaks old ones in unexpected ways and that's a way of life but I shouldn't be looking into how to rewrite all the old systems everytime I add a new thing as they were too clunky due to optimization attempts.

So I'm going to look around and look at other developments of roguelikes and reread some articles. I hate to lose a lot of the progress I've done but at least I have some functions I can transplant as they were not reliant on the system. Though I need to stop making this harder than it is, for giggles when I visited a friend I got a very basic roguelike set up using some older code I made in the past in about 5 hours. I can't even add in pits in legend in 5 hours which is what the problem seems to be. It doesn't follow my development style and is killing the project more than I am being lazy.

So rewrite three here we go. Least I'll have a few more corpses of experience on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment